Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Essex Walks---Hatfield Forest

Hatfield forest  11/Aug

I'd never been there, so as Marcus, and it was just day for lovely walks. Hot and sunny, beautiful English summer. 
I felt this forest/woods were very old and ancient, here it was, it said that on the leaflet "Explore the ancient trees and meadows of a Medieval Royal Hunting Forest"
On that day, there was a archery stall, as soon as I saw it, "I want to have a go!". I'd never done it before, another thing, I always wanted to try. Even it wasn't proper one, I didn't care, looked fun.

We were hanging round there, I was watching, looked like first of all, just for kids, but grow-ups were having a go at it, so decided I tried that later. First, walks!
We parked our car at the car park, it was just inside from the gate. 
There were a cafe, a shop(kiosk), toilet and picnic area. It was filled with families with kids. Some had bicycles, some were walking with dogs and some were just sitting on the glass or a bench by the lake chilling out.

It was a quite a big forest, walks take both orange and pink footpath just under 3km, so, easy and not bad strolls.
It's over 400hectares of ancient woodland, grassland with lakes. And full of English wild life. Butteries, geese, ducks, and deers, some part of the woods were so special reminded me of La Gomera. (I miss the island...) I think "ancient" and "green" combinations make me somehow feel very magic and almost nostalgic.
Beautiful forest 

Next to the cafe/picnic area, found this old house called "shell house", Decor was made with shells, and looking at it, I wasn't quite sure if I liked it or not. Inside of the house, shells were everywhere. I like shells when on beaches, but I still not sure seeing them on the walls and everywhere. 
Mmmm, now looking at the picture of the bird made with shells, I don't think I like it. Never mind, I'm sure some people love it. 


One of lakes ducks and geese love

Cute bumble bee's being busy getting dinner together

Started off, this walks were very busy with people. This footpath shared with walkers and cyclists. As it got deeper in the woods/forest, went really quiet and found different footpath, went off the footpath, pottering away..... Then, we saw.... a muntjac! He was cute. Looking at us in the distance, we didn't move till he went into the woods. 
 
This footpath took us to asphalt footpath(where we came in by car), now we headed back to the gate. We did a big circular walk, only took us just over an hour including good pottering time. 
 
While we were pottering, found a big oak tree. Of course, I climbed up.
Now, we quickly back to the archery stall, because, it was well past 4pm, I thought archery people were packing up and ready to go home. When we got there, they were still there. It was our turn now to try the archery. There were 3 targets, one with a round target, one with a backdrop with deer on it, the main one was a plastic head with an apple(yeah, right. How many shots would I need to hit the apple?). All grow-up men seemed to try to get the apple, none of them were yet succeeded. Here, my Marcus was on the mission to get it.
How did he do? It was close. If he had another 10 shots, probably one of them would hit the apple.....?(i'm being cheeky! ☺) Oh, Marcus insisted to tell you that he was very very close, enough to shook the head. Apparently, the apple almost fell. Also he was the closest person on that day. I can't remember how much we paid, but it wasn't too pricey. 

Now, my turn... I was aiming at...nothing. As soon as try to target, my mind seemed to go off, only first one hit the edge of the deer backdrop. Rest went to hit nicely to the big backdrop. I think I was pulling too far. Neva mind, next time, I will practice with my friend Russel, just attend his workshop next year!











No comments:

Post a Comment