Wednesday, November 21, 2012

14/oct walk in Holkham, Norfolk

Me and Marcus were talking about Holkham last week, we hadn't been there for ages. We wanted to pay a visit to the beach before it got too cold. Love Norfolk coast, beautiful coast line, grey sky, brown sea, and very English. To me, Holkham is a very special place. One, my first ever walking on Norfolk coast (apart from Waxham sands camping site), two, our first mini holiday together! Three, first time EVER saw geese flying (almost)next to me(and I had tears in my eyes!)
So, I was really looking forward to visit Holkham again. I took my rain jacket and warm hat with me, I was ready! I was told the weekend was going to be quite warm and sunny, they yet again, lied! It was cloudy and cold. Never mind. The most important thing was that we went to Holkham and enjoyed the view.
It didn't take long time to get there from my flat. When we got there, it was freezing. Even though I had warm-ish jacket on and hat, I felt sea wind was very harsh and chilly.



We parked our car by the harbour and started walking to the right.  It was quite busy that day, first time I saw the boathouse was open and people were in and out. Pubs in the area( there were some nice gastro pubs with garden outside, but it was a bit too cold to sit outside...) were quite busy too, having Sunday roast. We didn't go into the pub near by, we had our snacks from lovely Swaffham Waitrose.
Anyway, we began our walk along the foot path. It was sandwiched between the sea and the field. We heard birds were singing and flying over us, nosy cows were chilling out in the field.
And then heard geese! Not sure what it is, I love watching geese flying and listening to them. I still, feel tearful when I see geese flying close to me. Always makes me think "where are they going?"







Oh, I saw some posh English country people were walking along there too. They always have the same sort of style. Green jacket(tweed or quite often Barbour jacket or waxed coat), long wellies(either green ones or they like Joules/Hunters) and a hat. I saw this couple walking in front of me, and thought they were sweeeeet!

I love watching really old couple (granny and granpa) walking in town holding hands. I always smile. I think it's really sweet.When I was in Japan, I never saw granny and granpa holding hands, I reckon it's cultural thing(more like western culture), I hope Japanese old couple will be one day walking with holding hands. I remember a advert( i think it was washing up liquid or hand cream) on T.V years ago(back in 80's...), people were even talking about it(how sweet it was), but in reality, never really took off. I can't see my mum and my dad will be holding hands when they are in their 70's or even 80's. I can see me doing it, but not my parents... Especially my mum now walks with a walking stick.....
Anyway, by the time we got to the beach, it was quiet. No-one to be seen, only us and sea gulls. Sea breeze was very chilly. It was only mid October, felt like it was December! 





Cor, blimey, it was too cold for me to stay in the beach, after 30mins or so, we walked back to our car. All I could think was: a hot cuppa and an cake. We had pour snack in the car, then drove off. I don't remember where we went after that, I think we stopped at a part of Thetford forest for a quick walk. That's where I found a red trippy(naughty) mushroom! Apparently this mushroom is very naughty and slightly poisonous. I don't know much about it, and I never even did mushrooms back in days either. Looks quite cute yet dodgy. I wouldn't fancy eating/smoking that!  ☺




By the way, when we were on the beach, we could see rain pouring down in Wells-next-the-sea. Holkham and Wells is very close, yet, didn't get rain together. But we knew it was a matter of time, we would get rain in where we were.
It was a bit too cold for me to put my swimming togs on and dance in the rain...never mind! I can wait till our holiday in Greece again next year!











No comments:

Post a Comment