Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Suffolk Walks--Thetford forest - Lynford Arboretum

I didn't write when we went for a walk in thetford forest last Nov. It was a bit cold November Sunday. And cloudy. Anyhow, we had lovely time walking in the forest. this part of the forest isn't as popular as some, then again, this forest is huge stating between Norfolk and Suffolk border. It carries on and on. It has a camp sites, some activities called "go apes", hire bicycles and more.

Of course, we love walking where no-one around. But it's impossible here in the forest, although it's huge forest, people love walking and cycling here. Anyway this is where we went:




Lynford Arboretum. It was interesting. Didn't feel like we were in the Thetford forest. It was quieter and different plants, scenery. Good thing about this is: free to get in. Theses days, everywhere you go, need to pay. I can understand to preserve the nature and I do support RSPB nature reserves. I think they do very well.

We just pottered round the area. Found some footpath. Indicated very well here.



 "The Arboretum contains many interesting trees for example mature Norway Spruce usually only seen as a Christmas tree, Chinese Fir and Serbian Spruce which is extremely rare in the wild. It has been calculated that the ancient oak tree planted in the south of the Arboretum was planted in 1671 and therefore would have been a substantial specimen when Lynford Hall and estate was purchased in 1865 by Mr Stephen Lyne-Stephens. Since then the Arboretum has grown and has over 200 tree species, with future plans to increase the collection." (from the forestry commission website)

So, we saw some pretty flowers. Apparently these came from Japan!

Is it really? To be honest I've never seen it in my entire life. Even when I was in Japan. Then again, I didn't even notice when my mum bought a bunch of flowers in vase in our living room...If it was today, I would certainly notice!

Cool tree!











This place became one of my favo walks. It's easy to miss turn to get there from the main road.  We didn't spend long time there, it was getting dark already. It seems like few different footpaths to walk. I'm sure there's big/small circular walks too. Peace and quiet walk, this is the place for defo.

No comments:

Post a Comment