Monday, July 28, 2014

Essex Walks---St Peter Ad Murum

4/May/2014



It was surprise from Marcus, taking me to this lovely chapel. Ever since I watched this chapel on youtube channel called "haunted earth", it was my mission to visit there. It looked very pretty and really old, lots of history and apparently, haunted. Just like any old buildings in U.K. But looked nicely haunted. 

Anyway, it was exciting when I saw the chapel walking from the car park. It was lovely walk too, it opened up to a huge field, smell of the sea and luckily, it was a sunny day too.




Sometimes, I hear English people take a piss out of Essex, but I don't understand why, Essex has lots of beautiful places like here, AND, Colchester has a good old roman history too. Recently we explored the historical part of Colchester (rather than just going for shopping...), and I loved it! The Roman castle, Roman theater etc, amazing what we found out. So, if you explore the history of  town or city you live in, something amazing might come out! Oh, we also found a cute orthodox church in the town too.

Anyway, back to the chapel, I can't tell you how I excited to see the chapel and walked in, opened the heavy door, and here it was, it looked exactly the same as I watched on the YouTube. It was airy, high ceiling and huge space. It was very pretty. We sat there for a while. 






It was supposed to be haunted, but I didn't feel that way, if anything, nicely haunted. We felt something at the same time and same place, but not like anything scary.

We went out for a quick walk along the beach, and looked the chapel from the other side. It was just pretty! We also, found place people in the community live and looked very nice. Looked like a bit camping! They do have lots of activities! The community people look after the chapel, and do services there.






 After our quick walk, we went back in there to sit down again. Then, people from the community came in, and asked us if we wanted to stay for the service. And we accepted the offer. I didn't know what they were singing even though I was looking at their singing book, I was just following it. What I liked about the service was; at the end of it, we all stood in circle and held hands together and preyed. Reminded me of one of 12step meetings I used to go. They also invited us for a cuppa, but it was getting late to get back, we thanked and left. Maybe we can visit the community for a cuppa next time?

This community people are called Othona community, but I saw someone from Quakers too, he was leading the service. I don't really understand how it works, but they were friendly bunch anyway.

This chapel was built in 654AD, one of the oldest church in UK. It stands on the Bradwell-on-sea, Essex. I'm not going into the history, www.bradwellchapel.org has a quick history as well as about the community.

I would defo recommend this walk especially, on the sunny day!

No comments:

Post a Comment