Monday, March 30, 2015

Norfolk Walks---Thetford

1/March/2015





Discover Thetford!



Everyone told me Thetford was shit-hole excuse my language. I actually like some part of Thetford. It has some lovely walks along the river and old flint stone houses, and pretty historical place. I can see it might need modernisation and re-built some of building. 

Yet again, I wasn't sure where Marcus heard it from, apparently, Thetford had a pre-historical Iron age mound, just like ones in Avery. That was exciting to hear. Could not wait to get there. We visited old church ruins along the main road before. That ruin was run by English heritage, situated on the way to Bury St Edmunds from Swaffam A12 (I think). 

So we parked the car at the car park at the bus station, there was no buses, so pretty much empty space. Then I saw a statue of Dad's Army person (old English comedy T.V series), I was excited, I heard from my client and some friends that was there. Of course, I took some pics with it. 




We started walking along the river towards the mill, going though residential area. turn right at the junction, here we were, I was looking at an old jail house. It was a bit creepy to look at, I wish I had some ghost hunting equipments, could get lots of E.V.Ps etc. 





Carried on walking, and Marcus pointed some mounds between pub car park and a house. 
Wow! it was true, Thetford had a magic historical mound! I was even more excited. I wanted to walk round.




So we did. We walked up and down the mound, and it was pretty big. I was impressed. I could see everyone visited here to enjoy outdoor with the mound. I saw a man sitting on the bench there, families with kids, and evidence of drunks having their drinks. I would imagine they were too pissed to remember they actually left 5 un-opened can of beers and mixers with a glass there. I thought it was funny.









We walked up to the top of the mound, so cool. No one told me there was mound till today. One thing I felt sad about was that I felt a little bit neglect and despite of the history, it wasn't very electricky (energy), felt like it was lost the glory. Perhaps, my imagination...?

Lots of artefacts were found there, from pre historic, Neolithic, to Bronzes age to Iron age. Later, a castle was built on the top of the mound.




We potter round a bit in Thetford town and drove to yet another haunted part of Thetford, which "Haunted Earth" visited and filmed some activities. (see youtube)

It's called "Warren Lodge" in the edge of Thetford forest. We once drove round Thetfort forest area  but didn't find it. This time, we casually drove past and found the ruin, drove back and here it was. The lodge was there. 










After that, drove to our favo part of the forest, which cute little All saints church stands. 




River called little Ouse river runs through there. When we got there, we saw lots of people leaving with their canoes, they must've had canoe racing or something. I wanted to go to the loo, but as usual, it was closed. It has a big open car park and lovely footpath along the river. Swans are usually chilling out there. 










I wanted a circular walk, started doing it, but the footpath took us to the little village called Santon Downham, found yet another cute church called St.Mary's in the village. The village was quiet, all we could hear was birds singing...... 

Then walked onto the road, not sure where it led to, so we walked back to the village and into the woods.
Then I saw clear water on the footpath, wanted to put my feet in, so I did. Although I was wearing my wellies, still, felt water chilly.



I felt myself feeling a bit grumpy so we drove back home and had a nice hot cuppa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment