Monday, March 30, 2015

Norfolk Walks---Walsingham Abbey & Holkham

15/Feb/2015



When Marcus told me he was taking me to Walsingham that day, my instant reaction was; "never been there!" That is how I quite often answer/reply to him although he always insists I've been there. Just my memory...getting worse. Not sure why ( it might be, this is due to narcotics I used to do?), I'm pretty sure I used to have really good memory (never had a photographic memory, still, pretty good one... er., or this is, again, my false memory???)

Anyway, when we got there, I said;  "I've been here before!" 
"Well done Norie!" Marcus replied....
Sometimes takes a little longer, but I will get there.....




That day was a bit chilly and cloudy (surprise surprise, English weather). It wasn't the best day to have a look snowdrops, I feel sunny day's better.... Still, they looked very pretty and quite a lot people came to walk through the Abbey. It did say, that day was the peak day for snowdrops.




I thought Anglessey Abbey had the best snowdrops display till we saw them there. It was awesome, sooo pretty, wild and very atmospheric. Almost as if I could feel monks walking around. It was an old medieval priory back in olden days.... 






As I walked through the gate (then pay there), I could see the ruin of the old abbey still standing. It was a bit spooky in a lovely way, and almost as if I was sucked in to the footpath, sudden feeling of : I want to potter round.."





And this place really made us potter round. Beautiful snowdrops everywhere I looked, with a little river/stream run through the grounds, sounds of the water was very calming.... I wanted to put my foot in, I thought it was a bit too cold, so I chickened out.











We did the circular walk there then went into the house/museum. As soon as walked in, I smelt it was a bit musty, turn right into the right room (there are 2 small rooms on both side and an old court room) to have a look some artefacts. Some of them weren't nice. Then I smelt really strong alcohol. Me and Marcus don't drink, so I knew it wasn't from us. I saw a young couple with us in the room, I walked towards them but it wasn't from them either. I didn't say anything.

Then we walked to the other room, then the court room. Oh, I wasn't really keen on that room. 

Came out from there (leads to a shop), we walked round the old quint Walsingham village.

Later I asked Marcus If he smelt anything, he told me he didn't. I thought it might be a spirit person, and could well be. I used to smell strong smell like that when I used to work in a charity shop, I could smell (almost as if that person was next to me) it when no one could. I knew it was haunted anyway, but didn't really bother me. Oh, I hope "Haunted Earth" on the youtube channel go there one day and investigate too!

Anyway, I love historical places like the abbey, quite romantic isn't it. 







Week after we went (and I put some photos up on Facebook too), good friend of mine from Norwich (Emma) went there too with her partner. Snowdrops were still blooming, but looked they were really opened. 

I really liked the Walsingham ruins and grounds, it'll be added to my picnic place for summer list! We also visited the big church there. Apparently, it's a pilgrim village for centuries.

Here's a bit about Walsingham Abbey:
"Walsingham is dated back to 11th century for religious pilgrimage. ‘Walsingham’ is in fact two unspoiled North Norfolk villages, Little, or ‘New’ Walsingham, and a mile away, Great or ‘Old’ Walsingham; both have a wealth of historic buildings. 

The Georgian Shirehall, for 200 years a courtroom but originally built as a pilgrim hostel, is now a Museum, and your way in to the Abbey Grounds. Visitors today can enjoy the tranquil atmosphere surrounding the Priory ruins, wildflower meadows, 18 acres of woodland carpeted with snowdrops in the season, or romantically green in summer, and quiet river walks alongside the Stiffkey. "




After visiting, we drove along a scenic route to Holkham for a quick walks. I do love the area. That day, tide was way out, we could walk to miles from the beach.




I wanted to put my foot in to the water... It wasn't as cold as what I expected. It was actually "warmer" compare to some days in Norfolk/Suffolk. Usually really cold!





As I'm writing it, feel now really nostalgic, sometimes sea side makes me feel like that, reminds me of when I was a young girl in Japan, then reminds me I got my family there...I couldn't go back last year and perhaps, this year, but I would like to go home next year! Save some money!!!

Holkham is usually really busy in summer time, English people love to go there. I love to go back to Deepdale  to do glamping in a yurt this year again. (in Brancaster Staithe and Burnham Deepdale, lovely walks there!)




Walsingham Abbey Grounds 
The Shirehall Museum
Tourist Information :
The Shirehall Museum, Common Place, Walsingham NR22 6BP

Opening hours:
Weekends in March 11am-4pm
Weekdays in March 11-1 & 2-4 (Grounds only, entrance at Walsingham Estate Office, Common Place, Walsingham NR22 6BP)
April-October daily 11am-4pm

Admission:
£4.00. Children 6-16 £2.50

No comments:

Post a Comment