Sunday, August 22, 2021

Suffolk Walk: Carlton Marshes near Lowestoft😊

 


I read on twitter, there was mashes and new footpath was opened in Carlton Marshes, we thought it was near Beccles. We googled how to get there and thought it was close by. So, one afternoon this week, we drove to Carlton Marshes. Never been there before, and always exciting to visit places never been. 

Sat nav took us on funny country roads into big roads towards Lowestoft, it was very closed to Lowestoft from where we were going from. Marcus was a bit suspicious that we drove really close to Lowestoft, which we wasn't expected, it was this way. Anyway, we managed find the reserve and parked our car. 

It was lovely and well looked after, I saw kids and family having picnic in playground, considering the weather. It was quite cloudy and as if it was going to rain, that kind of typical English weather. But it didn't stop us going for a little walk. Marcus read black footpath was just opened, it was supposed to be board walk on marshes, so, we were excited about that. 


Started walking....



I was pretty sure we were following signs.  We even had a map too, somehow we were walking orange footpath 😂 (my favorite colour footpath, in my experience, when I follow orange footpath, I am always lost somewhere. ) However, although ended up following this orange footpath, we walked along river, marsh lands, seeing cows grazing, friendly people/walkers and enjoyed it. Lovely footpath. 

We saw many swans,  geese, white little eaglets ( quite a few and never seen so many in one place), Marsh Harrier, and  a little chinese water deer in further by water. I had my binoculars with me, so I could see what was going on a bit further. Never seen a little chinese water deer before, it looked like a bit muntjac, are they the same especies? 🤓





Many footpaths to try, we defo go back to explore the reserve. It was really flat so, easy to walk. I could hear train went by in the background, I would assume railway was nearby. Next time explore the area by getting on train from our local train station, get off Oulton Broad South (on East coast line by Greater Anglia from Ipswich). Apparently only 20-30 mins walk from the station, hopefully we can get there without getting lost 😆

There were hides too so I recommend to take your binoculars with you if you have one. I purchased mine a while ago from RSPB Mindsmere, and love them.  These days, everywhere I walk, I take them with me, so I can nosy round on wildlife. A staff  there helped me to choose mine, and she was very helpful. 


At the Carlton marshes, there is a cafe and a little shop, you can sit outside on the balcony overlooking the marshes. Very peaceful. 

Later, Marcus's mum confirmed him this place was his uncle's favorite place ( one of) who passed away last year. I can see why he loved it and worked there too, such peaceful, beautiful and amazing wildlife reserve. I saw a few people walking in the field, must've taken different footpath, which I felt I would like to try next time. 


On our way back home, we detoured to Halesworth to purchase more niknaks😆


Carlton Marshes, 
Burnt Hill Lane, 
Carlton Colville 
NR33 8HU
Lowestoft
Suffolk



No comments:

Post a Comment