Monday, May 14, 2012

Suffolk walks---Captain's wood- 13/May







We had another sunny(?) weekend. Not whole weekend we had sunny weather, sunny Sunday was enough. Marcus came to see me on Sunday morning. I got up really early with sun shine into my bed room. I had a little bit gardening at 9am, had breakfast, shower and checked on E-bay. Then Marcus turned up. It was lovely to see him (as always!☺).

 He fixed the flat tire on my bike. It was around lunch time we left for pottering afternoon with our snacks. Marcus and I still wanted to see more bluebells, so we were on our mission to look for more. Luckily, he looked up on the net where to go in Suffolk. He found woods called " Captain's wood", it situated in between Orford and Snape.

We drove past Ipswich, into country lanes, villages...again, found ourselves getting a bit lost. Yes, we didn't take a map or directions from the internet. However we always find our way anyway, sometimes, don't need it! ☺ After 1hour or so driving in Suffolk, we finally found the school lane where the wood was. Its car park was about 300m away from the wood, we needed to walk back. It was lovely walking there and back too. We saw a quaky old school house. There was a friendly horse by the road. Said hello and had a chat with him. very friendly and cheeky. When we left for the wood, the horse was looking at us for a while as if "don't you wanna play with me anymore????". Cute❀❀❀

When we got to the wood, it was open land with few trees... wasn't it wood??? Very inpatient with me, I couldn't see the wood. We walked through the open land with lots of yellow flowers on the sides of the path, at the end, it looked like we were getting in to the wood. It was very beautiful.

 As we getting in deeper into the wood, more and more trees, we saw really old trees too. And a little bit bluebells. I thought "Is that is???". Very inpatient of me yet again. I kept wanting to look deep into the trees, I kept feeling something different from woods we go to. I felt very ancient about this wood. (Apparently Marcus felt that too, told me later)

Here's old trees we found in the wood.

Old tree with new tree growth❀❀❀

Awesome tree! ☺
As we walking more and more, we found ourselves walking on the squidgy earth. I wish I was wearing my wellies, I thought. We had our wellies in the car! Silly me....
And then, Guess what we found! Bluebells! We found a bench, so we decided sitting on the bench and have a pear, watching bluebells...

It was very pretty. But one thing, this part of the wood was situated just right next to a pig firm. So, it was a bit smelly though walking through it. Then, very posh English family with a grand dad walking past. The posh kid asked us "Enjoying your pears?" Cor blimey, how he said and asked was like 50 years old man in 8 year old kid body. He was very posh, very pleasant kid and grand dad though. His mum and dad said nothing, but it was nice to see the kid and gran dad getting on well.

We carried on walking. This was a big circular walk, not knowing ( and not thinking) how long the walk was going to be... it was a bit chilly time to time. Then we saw.....
more bluebells! It was beautiful. What I loved the wood was; there was a big pond (I think) and a little water fall! That part of the wood was covered with cute bluebells. We saw people walking with cameras, taking photos of the bluebells. Kids were playing, suddenly, it was very lively. Where we just walked through was very quiet, and didn't really see may people. Still, there weren't many people there. Soaked in bluebells on 3 weekends on the row were magic. I can still feel now, bluebells energy.....☺☺☺

Walking along the water, we found a more old trees. One of trees had a half body open. So I went there did some Qi-Gong..(tree pose)

I felt  becoming one with the tree!!!☺☺☺

When we got back to the entrance, we read info about the wood. Apparently it went back to middle age, men were hunting deer there till 20th century. Yes, there are some ancient trees.


Suffolk Wildlife Trust says:
"The fallow deer are the most obvious large mammals but foxes are occasionally seen and badgers are known to live in the wood. Barn owls, which make use of holes in the veteran trees for nesting, hunt the rough grassland areas at dawn and dusk. Other raptors that can be seen regularly include kestrel, sparrowhawk, buzzard together with marsh harriers that come up from the nearby Alde estuary to hunt for small mammals in the grassland."
We saw lots of funny droppings, I knew they belonged to badgers! I've seen them before. We didn't seen badgers though, perhaps, they were chilling out in their dens...
We heard an owl. Birds were singing, it was beautiful♥♥♥

After vising the wood, we drove down to the church called St Botolph's church in Iken. It was again, very pretty and old.






It was late Sunday afternoon, the church was still opened and unlocked. Very trusty. And very nice of this church people to stay unlocked. Lots of churches are usually locked on late Sunday. I really liked it. Peaceful. There was a full blooming cherry blossom trees outside the gate.  It was very pretty. ❀❀❀
Just like ones in Japan!
We would love to come here again and explore in summer. There are so many lovely places and walking paths, we need to stay here for a week--- "holiday in Suffolk!"

No comments:

Post a Comment