Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Suffolk Walks-- Lackford Lakes 6/May

Actually, I was really looking forward to the Monday off. It was bank holiday weekend, which means long weekend. It was sunny for a change. It was summer! Felt like spring finally arrived!

I worked all week and cooking all day on Saturday. I did catering for someone's birthday on Sunday. I cooked buffet foods for roughly 35 people, I had 3 waiting staffs to help me out. It was lovely sunny day and we had laugh. And the birthday party was success! It was well worth hard work, everyone seemed to enjoy the party and foods! Great thing was the birthday girl (sweet 70 yrs old lady) was pissed a bit, I thought she was funny. ☺☺☺
 That week, I worked all week. 2 days in the old people's home cooking( doing bank shifts till the end of May), 2days in the charity shop, and 2 days catering. By the end of it, I was pretty knackered, I felt my age... 
The Monday was the bank holiday(national holiday), my day off, I was really looking forward to potter and having laying in bed. I suggested to Marcus to go to the Bradfield woods again. But he suggested "Lackford Lakes". It's situated just out side Bury St Edmunds. probably takes 20mins or so by car from the town. So, it's not far. We'd never been there, so I was pleased.

 Lackford,
Bury St Edmunds,
Suffolk,
IP28 6HX






Last time we went there was a bit too lat, it was closing time. This time, this visitor centre was open so we went in. It had a little shop inside served by a grumpy granny (I would assume she was a volunteer). Cor, she was really grumpy. Almost scary!!! ☹

Here in Lackford lakes, there were many birds hides to watch birds, as they have many different kinds of wild birds life.  
I don't know much about the place, so I found this from Suffolk wild Life Trust:  "Lackford Lakes lie beside the River Lark and have been created from former gravel pits. Lackford lakes is a wonderfully diverse reserve with meadows, woodland, reed beds and streams.
  Lackford attracts tufted duck, teal, pochard, gadwall, shoveler and goosander. There is a large winter gull roost which can hold as many as 28000 birds. Passing birds of prey include the majestic osprey, whilst buzzard and sparrowhawk can be seen regularly."

Apparently, one of the best places to see kingfisher too. I've never seen one, I'd love to see the beautiful birds! That day, unfortunately, we didn't see any kingfisher....







But we saw geese with red head, and many many different birds and listening to songs. 
It was also lovely to see families with little children, old-ish people  and young people walking and enjoying the reserve. 

We had our snack at the end of our walk. There were a few picnic benches next to the visitor centre. When we got there, the car park was full. Again, it wasn't very big car park. I didn't feel there were that many people, I suppose it had all spaces for everyone!

After our little walk, we headed to the town and Abbey Garden. We sat there on the lay line near the tennis court and chatted away for a bit. We found some unusual cute flowers, I'd never seen them there. Probably they were there all the time, I just kept missing them!



It was very pleasant day and enjoyed the whole weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment