Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Autumn Holiday in Japan: Kyoto ( 京都)

Bullet train "Nozomi 105"


21/ Nov

How exciting, it was my turn to get on the bullet train to Kyoto. Bullet trains were really good, they had every 15 mins or so, and could easy to get a ticket even just 30 mins before getting on the train. It was clean, they get cleaned as soon as people get off at the Tokyo station where bullet trains terminate and leave to different destinations in the country. Train cleaning people clean them really quick and tidy up for new travelers. 

I was trying to take a few shots for the face of the bullet train, it was too quick for me. I wasn't successful. So, took a shot of inside.


Train journey to Kyoto was very pleasant, busy with business people, yet it was very quiet. No one was speaking on mobile phones, that was nice.

I got even more excited when I saw Mt. Fuji, oooooh, it was beautiful o(^▽^)o . It had a white hat on, looked kinda cute. I really felt so grateful and be alive to witness this beautiful mountain that day. Luckily, it was sunny, as soon as when I got to Kyoto, it got cloudy.  Took about little less than 3 hours, really quick. 
Mt.Fuji, the view from the window

Right, I was in Kyoto station, not knowing the exit I came out was different one from my friend Kazuya told me to get out. He was supposed to pick me up from the station, then pick Marcus up for a sightseeing. Plan didn't work. We were trying to meet up for ages, probably spent good an hour or so, going back and forth, talking on Skype ( that was the only option I had to get in touch with him. No payphone in Japan anymore! Hard to find.), thanks to Internet/ mobile wi-fi/ broadband, I managed to get hold of him and met up. 

On that evening, we went round Kyoto a bit, then, off to the organic Italian restaurant called da.maeda (please see my other blog for foods!). We had yet another lovely evening.  o(^_-)O

Underground car park
They don't have anymore space to create any parking upstairs, so built underground car park, more and more places like this increasing in Japan. Underground bicycle parking is one of them and very popular.

Traditional Kyoto tofu restaurant
 We were initially going to this Kyoto tofu restaurant, but we realised all stock was taken from bonito /katuo which was tuna. I was reminded, west of Japan favoured Katuo, east of Japan favoured Kombu (Seaweed) for their dashi (stock). Anyway, Kazuya needed to look for some other options.
And it was good one too! Thanks to Kazuya, took us to a lovely vegan restaurant.


Very Japanesy


Old traditional shop selling Tawashi 
 Tawashi is made from fiber of a hemp palm, we love using this to scrub vegetables, do washing up, cleaning, etc This shop was actually quite pricey, but excellent quality products, it wasn't too brittle either. I bought a few, I gave one to my mum. I think she was really pleased with the gift from Kyoto, bless her. I gave my dad, a miniature tawashi made into a keyring. He was also pleased with it. Bless.


Kazuya standing outside the Tofu restaurant

Menu


After our dinner, we went back to the accommodation Marcus was staying. Wow, it reminded me of old days. It was exactly like old Japanese apartment back in 70's/80's. Places like these are really rare now, they usually get demolished and build a new block of apartments/flats/ tall flats. It had small rooms, but I thought this apartment / flat was really cute. 


Kitchen

Bedroom
This was used to as a dining/living area back in days. The little room with a table was a bed room. Tiny. It usually come with sliding door with huge compartments, where we put futons, clothes etc away. This is called Oshiire (押し入れ). When I was a little girl, I wasn't really keen on it, looked dark and huge space (to a little girl!), kinda freaky. As I got older, I grew to like it, and for a while, I ended up sleeping in it. My mum wasn't happy. ☹☹☹


Outside downstairs
Anyway, this Accommodation, had everything we needed, and very comfortable, ideal for long stay. Marcus was there for 5 days, and loved it. It situated just outside of Golden Pavilion (金閣寺), very close to bus stops, convenience stores and all amenities.

I wish I could stay longer than 1 day in Kyoto, maybe next time, I would love to spend at least a week there.


Golden Pavilion House ゴールデンパビリオンハウス:

 Address: Kita-ku Kinugasa Gosyonouchi-cho 2, Kyoto, 603-8378, Japan
goldenpavilion.jp

No comments:

Post a Comment