Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Lunch at Asian cafe in Ikebukuro, Tokyo

 14/2/'23

My friends took me to Taiwan tea Vegetarian/ vegan cafe - restaurant today. I wanted to go somewhere else, but it was closed on Tuesday. It turned out this cafe restaurant was a winner! I am so grateful for my friends who took me there.  😊

We met about 11 am at Nishi Ikebukuro station, just outside Starbucks. It was a bit windy and chilly morning( later it got chillier ), and a bit grey. But I am used to weather like that, so I didn't mind. 😁

When two of my friends arrived, who we first met in London back in 90's, we begun chatting straight away as if time we didn't see each other didn't exist.  It was so lovely to see them again, felt very comfortable being three of us together. 

My friend T had google map ready so we started following google map direction. Eventually we arrived at the cafe. Looked very homely from outside. As soon as stepped in, very welcoming atmosphere, simple decor and I had a comfy chair too! Tables were quite chunky, looked very rustic. It was very clean, it seemed to be very popular with mums from university near by. 

A staff who was there was very helpful, she explained which ones were vegans and vegetarians. They all looked delicious, it was hard to decide, but I really fancied a noodle dish, so i went for noodle option. 



It was a good choice for me, it was light, noodles tasted like mung bean noodles which is my favorite. Soup had a bit salty flavour, deep yet light, not heavy in the stomach. I really enjoyed it. 




A small bowl of soup came before my noodles. I could taste oil yet not greasy. lovely. I wondered if I could recreate the soup at home...🤔

Anyway, my friend Mari had vegetable curry, T had vegan soya burger with chips. They both looked yummy. 



After our meal, we had Taiwanese tea, mine was iced. I was very happy with meal and tea! 

Then we walked to find a cafe to have another cuppa, found a cafe in the square, there was dance event by people were affected by DV, neglect etc, got together to dance to bring awareness to DV. 

I had iced Jasmin earl grey tea in the cafe in the square.

After our chat and tea/coffee, Mari needed to go home and she left. Myself and T went to the Tobu department store to look for smoking area ( T smokes). It was very busy, Japanese people were buying cakes and chocolate ( even queueing again), I would assume because it was Valentine's day? 🤔

When she came back from smoking, T asked if I wanted to go for another coffee. There were plenty restaurants and cafes there, no problems finding one. I had Iced Mango tea. To my surprise, this mango tea had mango puree on the bottom with tiny bits, so I mixed it well with my straw. It was ok. 


Fake display food look so real these days....


We sat there a few hours, chatting away. 


We both took Yamanote line ( same direction) and parted. It was sad to say good bye to her, but I know we'll meet again. 


TSUMUGU CAFE ~台湾茶とベジフードのお店

https://tsumugu-cafe.storeinfo.jp/

"本格台湾茶や、台湾茶葉を使用した様々なフルーツティーも人気。 肉・魚介類・五葷を一切使用しない台湾素食スタイルのベジタリアンカフェ。ソイハンバーガーやアジアンヌードルなど、食べ応えのある料理が種類豊富に揃えている。 (Vegetarian foods/ Vegan/ 肉・魚介類・五葷一切不使用/ 素食) All the dishes do not be used any meat or fish. We can remove dairy ingredients and change to vegan dishes."

住所. 東京都豊島区西池袋3-36-20 1階.

Address: Ground floor, 3-36-20 Nishi Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo

No comments:

Post a Comment