Monday, August 29, 2011

Suffolk walks---August bank holiday weekend (26-29/Aug)

On Friday, I took bus to Sudbury. As usual Marcus picked me up from the bus station. It's always lovely to see his face in the bus station. I enjoy bus ride there every time. I see, hear different things, and I love looking at front gardens. Some are with lovely flowers, some have knackered front garden, and some sells their plants, eggs and vegetables.
On sat, we drove to Nayland. Marcus had his canoe back from his friend who bought together. Here's Marcus blowing up the canoe.


It wasn't too heavy to carry to other side of  the River Stour.


We started from Nayland, Wiston Mill, Warminghood then back to Nayland. I felt we were on the water for a couple of hours, in fact it was lot longer.

 It was my first time on a canoe and close to water and nature like that. To be honest I wasn't sure about the blow-up canoe to start off with. But it was very stable and waterproof!

He laughed at me when I asked a question: "Is this waterproof?" Otherwise the canoe would be sunk! Same time, I was excited when I saw it became a canoe and carry to the water.


It was cloudy and rainy but sunny day. Basically it's the sort of weather we've been having for weeks and weeks. Cloud was looked like this:


Suddenly We saw a big bird with cool shape. It wasn't pigeon, or gulls. It was a heron. It had its spouse, and looked like they were living in the top of tree in the field. They flew very elegantly.  It was only a beginning. What a start!!!!

 Between Nayland and Wiston Mill was like a jungle. It was unspoilt. Then we saw...a baby beaver! I thought. But It was an otter. We wet to well close to him, but didn't seem to scared of us. The otter had pretty big eyes, looking at us. he squeaked. Cute thing. First time saw a wild otter. Then he swam under the water.

 I kept asking Marcus another silly question: " Are we near to Sudbury yet???" "No, Norie" didn't realise it was far away in the water. Very impatient of me... This is the Wiston Mill:


When we got there we had to pick up the canoe (at the portage point). We had a little snack too.


This is me sitting on the canoe. I wasn't dressed for this occasion.  I should've worn a waterproof jacket and pants etc... Never mind, It was only little practice, next time when We go for canoe-ing, I will get some proper(?) clothing for it.

 It was quiet till we saw a couple on boat. He told them they were the first people we saw all this time... We were told there was a campsite near by called Rushbank Farm. When we canoed passed there, saw quite few people camping on the site. Busy little camp site.

 Looked like lots of people had either blow-up canoes or regular canoes.

 We went a bit farther than the campsite about 20mins or so, then we headed back to Nayland. It showered hard one point☂, we got wet. But soon sun☀ came out. I found a big dragonfly( they were everywhere. big brown ones, little blue ones and saw some little white butterflies too.) on the portagepont on Wiston Mill.




He was big and beautiful. I put him down after taking this photo, but he didn't seem to want to fly off. I just was hoping he was o.k....

On our way near in Nayland, there were some swan family swimming on the water going for wonder(?) they were cute♥





Following the mama swan... they were very chilled out.... Being on water made me chilled too. Marcus did most of hard work canoe-ing ( I did some too), I really enjoyed my first time canoe. Look forward to next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment