Sunday, March 23, 2014

Suffolk Walks---Wicken Fen

16/March




Strictly speaking, Wicken Fen is in Cambridgeshire. Not far from Suffolk though. I never walked in Fens, so, not really sure what to expect. I didn't know what Fen was like and I imagined it was really flat land.....

I was wrong! It blew me away. It was beautiful and soooo peaceful with full of wild life. It was again, run by National Trust, and wonderfully set up.

We drove the car through A14 towards Cambridge, turn off the sign for Anglesey Abbey. Drove passed the Abbey and carried on for another about 20mins drive, then turn left with a little sign says: " Wicken Fen".

There was a good sized car park, with over flow and toilet facility. Walked passed a few houses, then, here there were, enter to the Wicken Fen.




Luckily, we had lovely sunny day, ideal weather for spring walk along the river side and they had boat trips too. Due to the national reserve, canoes and boats are not allowed in, I suppose, it's good that way. 

We went to the reception, asked the guy there if we needed to wear wellies on. Due to rain we had, the Fen looked a bit wet and of course, it's Fen, supposed to be wet apart from dry summer season. we were told that would be better to wear wellies and trainers, so went back to our car and put them on and started again...

First, we just followed the board walk, we wanted to go to the tower hide to watch some birds. Some foot path were closed off, it was too wet.






Once start walking into deeper into the Fen, we realised how wonderful and peaceful it was. Something about the place, felt ancient and almost as if people used to live there and hunt. We loved it. Reed were everywhere, there were gazing cattles, and horses, birds were singing, felt it was growing to become yet another special place for me.




We just walked wherever foot paths were available. Time to time, we sat on benches along the river, looking at lives went by. Eventually, we reached to the old tower hide. Climbed up to the top, sat there for a bit watching marsh land over head of us. Then, Marcus spotted a heron flying. It was beautiful! Then, saw another one! They were pair. I think we saw a few more too. We also heard geese and saw them flying as well. Not sure how long we were there, noticed  some people came up and down again.



We left a bird watcher there, went down and did circular walk back to the front reception, then, took the other path walking other side of the river for little circular walk. 




We sat along the bank, watched birds having our snack. I really enjoyed our little walks that day. I would like to go there again, in summer to see different face of the Fen.

When we left, we noticed a little sign for free range eggs. They were £1 each for a half doz. I bought these lovely eggs, in my head I was already cooking delicious omelettes. Looking at them, my mouth was getting watery, couldn't wait to try these beautiful eggs. I don't eat or buy eggs these days, so, this was my treat.

Writing this blog, I realised there were plenty places I haven't been (National Trust in east of England), so, this will be our outings for this year. I can't wait for more weekend walks.



Wicken Fen and National Nature Reserve
Lode Lane, Wicken, Ely
Cambridgeshire, CB7 5XP

Tel: 01353720274
wickenfen@nationaltrust.org.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment