Monday, April 4, 2022

Norfolk walk: St. Olave's Priory, Norfolk, Great Yarmouth

 

Sunday 3/04/'22

We ventured out to Norfolk. Marcus took me somewhere different. Never been there before and heard of it either. Not far from Beccles, and near Great Yarmouth. 

We  parked our car in the holiday park/ camp site/ restaurant car park, and walked out to the priory. Along there, said hello to Llamas, they were cute. 🤩 



I was guessing he took me there because he felt or knew lay line going through? Lovely energy and cute priory. Still standing and basement was still intact although I could see some repairs. It would've been beautiful back in days. Always I imagine how it would be like....When I went to Majorca, we stayed in a little monastery on the top of mountain. Puge it was called. It was also medieval, outer accommodations were also medieval although some repaired since. How people in those days built such a beautiful building, often very remote place or top of mountains. I guess this little priory was also built in remote place although now it was by the busy road. 



Back to Puge, it still has old refectory with stone sink and huge fire place. Every time when I visit monastery or abby ruins , and mention refectory, I always imagine it would be like one in Puge.  

Same as magical Leiston abby in Leiston, Suffolk, it would've been the sight when monks or people on pilgrimage saw the abbey standing afar. 

I wonder who came to St. Olave's priory? 



Never realise so much history in East Anglia. More I discover, more i fall in love with the area.

Our next adventure from here was Burgh Castle Roman Fort on my next blog! 


https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/st-olaves-priory/

No comments:

Post a Comment