Sunday, October 7, 2012

Big circular walk ✿Damouchari to Tsagkarada✿


Day 6 into our holiday, it was cloudy to start off with, then it got sunny. I couldn't sleep that night, I kept waking up, and in the end, I gave up trying to get some sleep. So, I went outside, there were untold numbers of stars in the dark sky. I could see clear milky way, planets, and star constellations... And I saw shooting stars! I was watching stars, not sure how long, I wanted to take all in, but so many stars, I felt like I had not enough brain capacity to do it...☹ Having say that, when I close my eyes now, I can still see the stars... It was another precious magic moment. ☺

Woke up 7.30am with some noise outside. I quickly got up, went outside. Because, I had funny feeling it was the naughty dog doing something to our shoes. (Previous day, he was trying to steal Marcus's shoes...) And here they were, they chewed our shoes didn't they!


after being washed, saw the damages

We had to wash them, they were muddy! Naughty dogs! They knew they weren't supposed to do that, and I can still see their faces in my head! There were quite few naughty dogs around on Greek beaches. I think lots of them were stray, but kindly, locals were feeding them. Bless☺

Anyway, after being really pissed off, we needed to let go. Then we were ready for our little (?) walks!
We began our walks from the first kiosk, then took right path to walk up to the top kiosk. I suggested Marcus, I thought it might've been easier....?☺ Then took the right path (narrow bushy path), straight up. To the chestnut forest.







Right path to Tsagkarada...

 After the top kiosk, going through the forest... It was very green...


 We came out to a small village...not sure the name. And we saw spring water on the middle of the road. It had good view of the beaches. If we hadn't got carried away looking at the walnut tree, we would've been taking the foot path(quicker), but we missed it. We went straight past the footpath (later on our way back, the red mark was hugely written on the left wall from where we came from.) We carried on walking on the road. Then we found an apple tree! No-one was to be seen, so naughty Marcus scrumped a couple of apples. And they were delicious!


Originally, I wanted to follow walks info/ guide I got from some website, but it wasn't informative, we got lost anyway. (we didn't take map with us, this is Norie & Marcus style ☺) We love adventures, always do walks without map is also a part of holiday fun. And we came to conclusion, it was the best way to find out paths was getting lost (sometimes). We kept walking, turned the corner, and we saw...figs! Initially, we walked past the fig tree, but couldn't help it, we had to go back to pick them. They were ready to get picked up. and delicious! Took a good few of them, put them in our back pack, carried on walking. Then we saw...massive chestnuts! They were huge! And they were everywhere!

Then, there were junctions. Oh, dear... ☹ One to go down (left), one to go up(right), one to go straight. By then, of course, we couldn't find "red marks" anymore. So, we just needed to follow our instinct. So, we went right up to the road. Then we saw red marks. It looked like way-in to the another chestnut forest.



This is the junction.

This is the road to the magic chestnut forest.
We carried on walking, and wondering about Greek foot path signs why they quite often disappeared and how we got lost. Anyway, plants on this particular path there was over grown, confused (me) to follow the path. And we found red mark on the tree! I kind of felt relieved we were on the foot path.



Every time we came across junctions, we wondered...which way shall we go? 

After this junction and forest walk, we came out to big road(asphalt road with another junctions).
It had 3 roads again, left up, straight on, and right down. So we walked straight up, and got lost yet again. Luckily, there was an old-ish guy working on his allotment, so we asked hoping he could speak English. And he did, he told us which road to take from the junction. Took left to go up. 

By this time, sun was up, and it got quite warm, we were sweating. Then I saw a lovely looking hotel called "St.Stephano" I'm sure it had the name like that. 


When we got to this square I knew we were close to Tsagkarada. Also Marcus told me when we walked past really nice looking apartment where he stayed before. Hooray, he remembered the road.
This was cute little square. after this square we walked on the road to the Tsagkarada junction. It didn't take us long to get there. Probably another 15-20mins or so. 

 This is the junction, all sign posted for us to follow! We walked down to the square.


Now, we were entering to the square with massive, beautiful tree.

We had a glass of orange juice. It was delicious, especially after the walk. We wanted to eat some chips, but by the time we got there, we weren't feeling hungry anymore. All fruits we were eating on the way made us feeling full!

On our way back to Damouchari was really easy. we just followed the foot path which was quite clearly sign posted. And it was lovely foot path. It went through St Kyriaki church square and it was cute. By the way, we bumped into our German neighbours again! They were having coffee there. We waved at each other then we separately walked back. I wondered which foot path they took.....

Anyway, didn't take long to get back to the little village where we missed first turn. We had little sit down by the spring water tap.

Look, big red arrow pointed to go there, but we completely missed it! ☺Never mind. We had lots of fun getting lost.

Oh, this footpath took us into woods, and found very old spring water tap. 

This is me with smile on the little bridge. I was thinking about Lay's olive oil crisps...☺
Took us about 1½hours to get back.( approx 2½ hours to get to Tsagkarada from Damouchari including losting time.) It was easy coming back, no problems at all!  I loved it so much, I was looking forward to our next walk...Mouresi!






No comments:

Post a Comment